Friday, January 11, 2008

Asa Actually Posts Something (No fuckin' way!)

It's radical. But it's happening. Oh, it's happening.


So I love you both. That's the first thing.

Second is, that, I just sent emails to Poland.


I didn't tell you guys, but I ended up applying to Village Harmony and I found out recently that I was accepted. They also told me that both Georgia and Ukraine have many open spots if people are still interested. Drop this into your pipes and smoke it.

SO I am thinking many many things. May I share some?


First of all, I am realizing how wonderful wonderful creativity, creating as life is. I spent a lot of this week recording part of a record with a dear friend (I will post it as soon as it's mixed, next week, first I am going to Yosemite...) and realizing just that we can only make with what we have right here, with ourselves, even if we're sick, stupid, lonely, etc. And that's really liberating because then there's nothing holding us back, ever, we're always at home, and ready. Wow. Important thing.

And seeing my Zen teacher and making art is good and full, but parents are at best compassionate fixtures. Rilke says, don't expect understanding, and don't share your fears, but find a feeling that they agree with strongly and share that with them.

That sounds less compassionate than it might be, right?


As far as text goes, I've done the reading except for Kafka on the Shore (I finished Windup instead, will get to Kafka this week), and I've liked everything. Nothing has been like "we MUST put this in", except for parts of V. Woolf.

If Campbell's "Hero" is out of print, read Campbell's "Pathways to Bliss", especially the essay called "personal mythology". If you can't find either, why not read Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections." Or just wait untill school starts and I can loan the Campbell, which is more accessible than the Jung.


In another note, is anyone reading Dickinson?

I've been reading Rilke's non-young poet letters, and they're full of amazing things. I really want him to be a big part of whatever we do, not so much because he himself is so fascinating (which is he), but really because he can be a teacher for all of us about what it is to lead a creative life in a full and honest way. Every time I read the Duino Elegies I discover something new.

Another note, that "Ahead of All Parting" has been published in paperback as "The selected poetry of Ranier Maria Rilke", same translator (Stephen Mitchell) and with an introduction by Robert Hass.

In Los Angeles, I dug up many of the physical excercises from this summer, and I am happy to lead physical work with my dearies. And auditions! Yes.

Anyways, this is getting rambling, but I just wanted to give a huge loving shout of "whoa!" to both of you from the left coast.

Last week I went for a hike in 60 MPH winds and almost got blown off a cliff while shouting "Christ Has Risen" in Russian with my insane friend Bob. It was pretty fucking epic, and I thought of you guys a lot, because we had one of those conversations that goes on and on and on and on and everywhere and nowhere.


Okay, 'tis all. Call me if you're bored, I'd love to talk to either of you, although I'lll be climb/hike etc in YoSEMITE! Yeauh.


Love and Joy,


And Wish our letters good luck to Jarek. Even if we don't go.


Asa

No comments: