Saturday, December 8, 2007

Poets – Ranier Maria Rilke, Poland and Summer, Advent & Other Holidays

My dear friends.

I have been thinking that something that keeps coming up is poets. So maybe we want to do a play about poets, or a poet? Poets have lives that are full of good twists, difficult spots.

Both Emily Dickinson and Ranier Maria Rilke had extremely interesting lives, with depressions, spiritual leaps, imprisonment, reactions to the war torn world. T.S. Eliot is also fascinating, although maybe more known and less sensitive and impressionable. Rilke journeyed extensively but always felt imprisoned. Dickinson literally was imprisoned. Both were obsessed with death in different ways. I don't know what to say exactly, but I think there's something significant here.

Maybe we want to do something with these people? I really love both of their work and think that maybe they have something to teach us.

Rilke is best in Stephen Mitchell's translations. I will get you this for some winter advent holiday.

Did you guys ever do Advent Spiral? This is a very beautiful ceremony that comes from early christianity, really pre-Christian pagan traditions.

http://www.waldorffamilynetwork.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/adventspiral2003.jpg

It's also a Waldorf thing. Candles are placed in apples and brought into the center and lit, then brought out. I think it was something that got deep in me, influenced me a lot. If Annie sees this she'll know...


Speaking of which, there are some things.

Grotowski Texts:

Holiday
Tu Es Le Fils De Quelqu'un [You are someone's son]
Performer

All are really good and important for different reasons.

Another word about Holidays, look at this:

http://free.art.pl/teajty/pliki/english/etresc.php?go=4

Very interesting Cultural Lab in N. eastern poland. Doing interesting work with carols, carolling in the old sense. Check it out.

Good 'ol:
http://www.grotcenter.art.pl/

Maisternia Pisni:

http://www.maisternia.com.ua/site/index.htm

A good way to see what they're about besides the DVD Claudia has is to read Sergey's "Krai" although it's translated pretty poorly. In the photos section are photos of Brzezinka
and area around, which is the forest base.

I wrote Nini from ZAR, so we'll see if that can happen (or something), if you guys are still interested in going to Poland.

I think what would be great is if we could go somewhere and sing for a while – this could happen with Village Harmony, or with ZAR, possibly, and then see some theater in Poland and do some work sessions together to learn training, etc.

Also, next semester I am starting to learn the harmonium, and I'd definitely like to start playing with this in singing – it's really absolutely the most helpful thing in learning to sing together in multi voice.

Also, on wednesday at 1 pm at well being house I am performing Indian music, come if you like, there are lots of people performing so no pressure.

I know this week will be crazy, but let's find some time to just talk and hang out some time soon. I have house things tomorrow night until 8 or 9 but I'm free after.

I am also making mixes for you guys.


Love

Asa

1 comment:

M.M. said...

I'm into that idea... very interesting. Especially Dickinson, she's just so deliciously morbid.