Tuesday, March 11, 2008

More visual research...

Here's leftover stuff that doesn't fit in the other posts.

First, nice quotations I found in galleries:

"Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier."
--Charles F. Kettering

"
Art ain't about paint, it ain't about canvas. It's about ideas. Too many people died without ever getting their mind out to the world."
--Thornton Dial, Sr.

"We can do our best as mortals on this earth to try to progress as sane civilized creatures. However, life provides obstacles that we as mere mortals cannot begin to understand. Therefore we break down and begin in the most savage manner to dissolve -- it all seems so unnecessary."
--John Alexander

The Alexander quote was next to this painting of his:
I'm not exactly sure what to think......most of his paintings are equally grotesque, but what I do find interesting is that he calls his work a "glimpse of paradise before the wrecking ball hits."


Finally, one of the paintings that I was most drawn to on my visits:

"The Funeral: A Band of Men (2 Women) Abandonment!," Eric Fischl
I could've sworn this was in color when I saw it....maybe I'm imagining it. Anyway. I don't know what to start with, but I really think there's a lot in this we could use. I wish I could find a bigger version of this so you could see it more clearly. It's disturbing in so many different ways but I want to keep looking at it.

So that's everything I've got. I wait to hear what you guys think. Enjoy!

3 comments:

M.M. said...

I think these are awesome, especially the second one.

G.B. said...

I think the different gestures and body sculpting in the one on the ship could be really great to use. All this research is great, Jaime.

Asa said...

that last painting is really fantastic.