Tuesday, March 11, 2008

two songs

Hey guys, I know we're meant to be posting text and visual research, but I have two songs I keep listening to that we might be able to do something with. I don't know what. I just had an impulsive reaction to these, that they "fit" with what they're doing, but not much thought has gone into it....

Radiohead - "I Will (No Man's Land)"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ssg7ja

i will
lay me down
in a bunker
underground
i won’t let this happen to my children
meet the real world coming out of your shell
with white elephants
sitting ducks
i will
rise up
little babies eyes eyes eyes eyes...


Sigur Rós - "Heysátan (Haystack)"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9r0w5

Heysátan
Höfðum þau hallí ró
En ég sló
Eg sló tún
Eg hef slegið fjandans nóg
En ég sló
Heysátan
Þá fer að fjúka út
Ut í mó.. (ég dró)
Heyvagn á massey ferguson
Því hann gaf undan
Og mér fótur rann... Andskotann
Eg varð undan
Og nú hvíli hér
Með beyglað der
Og sáttur halla nú höfði hér

translation:
The stack of hay
Had them all calm
But I mowed
I mowed fields
I have mowed fucking enough
But I moved
The stack of hay
Then begins to blow out the door
Out into the field (I dragged)
A wagon of hay on a Massey Ferguson
'Cause he gave in
And I slipped... fuck
I was first
And now rest here
With a folded cap
And now loll my head here, content

Funny how it's such a pretty song, but they snuck those "fuck"s in there...

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy these. Looking forward to reading everyone's posts!

jaime

6 comments:

M.M. said...

mmm.

I love this song (the radiohead) and think the melody could definitely be useful. It's so haunting and ethereal.

Annie said...

agree with mark.

what are the implications of using more current pop-ish music, that people might recognize? i always wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing. probably could be either.

Asa said...

annie,

i think that's a really important question. generally, i feel that if the melody is recognizable, the characters have to recognize it, like, a radiohead song comes from a room, characters have the reactions they might have, so at least it's not part of exterior mood but occurs within the piece.

But if we're singing it it's different, because then it's already ours in a way...
but yeah, that's a really good question. When I hear a song I know and like in a play, especially recorded (like, say, I heard "Let It Be" in a play) I immidiately go to my own associations, so we have to work actively to undermine that and make it our own...

Annie said...

definitely, asa. i agree that for this show, we should really work to subvert pre-existing associations and create our own, but more generally speaking i am really interested in how songs with more "universal" associations (e.g. wedding march) can become their own independent instrument in the greater orchestra of the play, so to speak. like, that it is not reinforcing/reinforced by anything else. if that made any sense.

G.B. said...

Ok I just tried writing down my thoughts about this, and they're not too articulate. I'll have to wait till we talk in person.

What I can say is:
I think the use of these songs is a delicate task, but clearly can be worth it.

Annie, could you expand on your last comment? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...Like do you mean the wedding march would transcend its context because of how it becomes another actor in the space, for example? So it's not reinforcing its original more universal connotations nor is it being used to evoke those original connotations?

ja, analyzing art is COMPLICATED.

Annie said...

gedney,
that's not exactly what i meant, although that makes sense as well.
i meant like, if there is some action going on, and it does not suggest/connote a wedding, nor does any of the design elements, even a snippet of the familiar wedding march would be enough to add that layer of meaning. whereas, i feel like music is often used to reinforce what is already present in another design element, or in the action/text.
does that make more sense?