Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Picasso

There were two Picasso paintings I found that I really liked, both representative of two phases of his that I looked up online.

"The Tragedy" After a close friend of his committed suicide, Picasso went through a period of somber paintings about death, poverty, destitution, the "underbelly of society," that kind of thing. He used almost exclusively shades of blue. It is called "the Blue Period." One thing I find really interesting in most of these paintings, especially this one, is that body language can reveal a ton about what is/isn't shown in the painting.

"Family of Saltimbanques"

After the Blue Period, he made a series of more colorful paintings portraying "saltimbanques." These were migrant circus-performer types that would wander around entertaining people. They were usually portrayed as sad social outsiders. I like this one especially because these people are all clearly bound together but they're all somewhat isolated, with different points of focus. I think the idea of the saltimbanque might be interesting to further research....

I hope I'm not coming off as knowing volumes about art. I don't know anything about this stuff, I just googled it!

Also, I don't know why, but I really like this guy. He was Picasso's first art dealer.

"Portrait of Pere Manyac/Pedro Mañach"

1 comment:

noa said...

Picasso does really interesting things with hands.