Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Nakata's wish

It's not that I'm dumb. Nakata's empty inside. I finally understand that. Nakata's like a library without a single book. It wasn't always like that. I used to have books inside me. For a long time I couldn't remember, but now I can. I used to be normal, just like everybody else. But something happened and I ended up like a container with nothing inside.
Nakata doesn't have anybody. Nothing. I'm not connected at all. I can't read. And my shadow's only half of what it should be.
If I'd been my normal self, I think I would've lived a very different kind of life. Like my two younger brothers. I would have gone to college, worked in a company, gotten married and had a family, driven a big car, played golf on my days off. but I wasn't normal, so that's shy I'm the Nakata I am today. It's too late to do it over. I understand that. It's too late to do it over. I understand that. But still, even for a short time, I'd like to be normal Nakata. Up until now there was never anything in particular I wanted to do. I always did what people told me as best I could. Maybe that just became a habit. But now I want to go back to being normal. I want to be a Nakata with his own ideas, his own meaning. (306-307)

1 comment:

Annie said...

goddamnit gedney, stop posting spoilers!!! i'm not done with the book yet!